Research Fellow COVID-19 and Executive Personalization (m/f/d)
The German Institut for Global and Area Studies (GIGA) is looking for a
Research Fellow for the GIGA Project “COVID-19 and Executive Personalization” (m/f/d)
The GIGA German Institute for Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social science research institute based in Hamburg, Germany. It analyses political, social, and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, peace and security, globalisation and development, and global orders and foreign policies.
The GIGA is seeking to appoint a Research Fellow (m/f/d).
Applications are invited for a part-time position (65%), with a contract of three years, preferably starting 1 November 2021. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
The successful candidate will work in the project “COVID-19 and Executive Personalization in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Latin America and the MENA Region” funded by the German Research Foundation / Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. This project is co-lead by Dr. David Kuehn, Prof. Mariana Llanos and Dr. Thomas Richter.
The successful candidate will
- contribute to all project components as appropriate
- be an active member of the GIGA, be affiliated to one of GIGA’s regional institutes, and belong to the Research Programme “Accountability and Participation”
- contribute to the academic output of the project with single-authored and co-authored publications in leading scientific journals
- engage in the dissemination of project findings within the academic as well as policy community, and among the wider public
- an excellent university degree (master’s or equivalent) in political science, sociology, public policy, economics, or related social science disciplines
- familiarity with research on autocratisation, and/or democratisation
- proficiency in the application of state-of-the-art statistical methods
- proficiency in English
- strong analytical skills
- strong teamwork skills
- familiarity with computational social science techniques/programming languages (e.g., Python, R)
- proficiency in additional languages spoken in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Latin America or the MENA region
The GIGA strongly encourages concurrent work on a doctoral degree. The research fellow would become a member of the GIGA Doctoral Programme.
Other part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. Diversity and the reconciliation of work and family life are of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes the equality of all genders.
Please fill out the application form (found at https://www.giga-hamburg.de/en/career/) and send it together with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-21-08), including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, names and contact details of two references, list of publications, max. two work samples), as one PDF (except for the completed GIGA application form) to:
Daniela Wald, German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 7 June 2021.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage or contact Dr. Thomas Richter (Email: email@example.com).
Please don’t forget to mention politjobs.de in your application!