E3G seeks Clean Economy Programme Lead
E3G is looking for an experienced practitioner to lead its work on shaping and accelerating the transition to net zero carbon economies. As a recognised global leader in the politics and policy of energy transitions, E3G is broadening its programmes to develop innovative solutions to the rapid deployment of zero carbon solutions across the whole economy.The position is ideally based in E3G’s offices in Brussels, Berlin or London, but other European locations will be considered. We are currently seeking a
Clean Economy Programme Lead
- Context and role
E3G is a European think tank working globally to accelerate the transition to a clean, resilient economy. E3G was ranked 5th most influential global environmental think tank by the UPenn “Go To Thinktank” Index in 2016 and 2017.
Keeping global temperature rises well below 2C, and hopefully to 1.5C, requires the rapid shift to new infrastructure systems, markets and regulatory models in the energy, urban, transport, industrial, agriculture and land use sectors, as well faster diffusion of innovation. While the past decade has seen the emergence of exciting clean technology solutions, alongside revolutions in digital and materials technologies, the pace of market deployment is generally still too slow to deliver the Paris climate goals.
The demand for change is growing as countries, cities, businesses and investors around the world increasingly develop long term plans for the transition to net zero carbon, resilient economies. However, there is a gap between investment choices implied by these pathways and the pattern of investment incentivised by current markets, regulatory and planning systems.
E3G believes that change will not accelerate without fundamental reforms to how markets are regulated, how infrastructure systems are planned and managed, how public funding is allocated and how innovation systems are incentivised. These changes cannot be driven solely by climate change concerns but must be embedded and aligned with broader economic development and reform processes.
E3G has built deep experience over more than a decade of developing practical governance, policy, regulatory, market development and innovation solutions to accelerate EU energy sector decarbonisation. E3G is currently expanding its work to encompass new sectors such as infrastructure, heavy industry and land use.
E3G is looking for an experienced thought leader to guide the deepening of its current sectoral transformation work, and develop new cross-cutting approaches to integrating climate objectives into “whole economy” debates on productivity, competition policy, regulatory design, industrial policy, innovation and governance. E3G is also looking to apply the lessons of its work in Europe to other regions including Latin America, SE Asia and China.
The new Programme Leader will oversee established areas of E3G work on energy, infrastructure, innovation and governance, and will contribute to developing new workstreams in areas such as industrial transformation, land use and urban development.
E3G has worked on delivering energy system reforms since 2007, including: working on fundamental reforms of electricity markets in the UK and Europe; successfully advocating for higher EU grid connection goals and supporting an integrated North Seas Offshore grid; developing innovative approaches to accelerating energy efficiency deployment and positioning efficiency as an infrastructure priority; developing integrated approaches to the governance of electricity and gas grid investment under deep decarbonisation scenarios; developing large scale demonstrator programmes for integrated urban energy and transport systems.
E3G’s Clean Economy Programme undertakes analysis, develops practical policy and institutional proposals and builds coalitions between different stakeholders to accelerate the pace of change. E3G has a strong focus on understanding the political economy of economic reforms, and developing institutional, governance and policy solutions which are economically effective, socially fair and politically acceptable.
E3G works to change policy and regulatory decisions. It actively aims to shape decision maker views on the broad benefits of reform, including through public communication, campaigning and the media. E3G works closely with a wide range of partners to deliver its projects including governments, cities, industry groups, think tanks, universities and NGOs.
The Clean Economy Programme increasingly works in combination with E3G’s sustainable finance, coal phase out and just transition programmes to deliver integrated, cross-sectoral solutions.
As decarbonisation deepens around the world, E3G is looking to recruit an experienced practitioner to take a leadership role across E3G in the delivery and development of this broad Programme area.
- Profile & requirements
- You will be committed to achieving E3G’s objectives, and to working in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner. You will have strong strategic and political understanding, will prioritise achieving outcomes over running activities, and be capable of inspiring and facilitating action by others;
- You will have 10-15 years experience of working on industrial, energy or economic regulation-related issues in either the private or public sector; covering both analytical and management roles. Experience of policy-related work is required; experience of climate change issues is an advantage but not a requirement.
- You will have a significant track record of achievements, including experience of building consensus inside and between organisations around sensitive issues; creating and facilitating dialogue and agreement.
- You will have a track record of thought leadership, problem solving and analytical excellence.
- You will have been involved in major complex projects. You will have built and managed teams, delivered collective outputs and managed budgets. Experience of managing multi-national teams across different locations would be an advantage.
- Experience of fundraising from philanthropic and/or government sources would be an advantage.
- You will be used to operating internationally, with a high degree of cultural sensitivity. Strong personal networks and experience at EU and/or international level would be an advantage.
- You will be able to operate confidently at high and “expert” level, in the worlds of government, business, the media and civil society.
- You will have strong written and spoken English. Good knowledge of at least one other language would be an advantage.
A remuneration package competitive with the non-profit and public sector will be offered.
E3G is unfortunately unable to provide any relocation assistance.
- Application information
Please email your application in English to email@example.com
Please write ‘Clean Economy Programme Lead 2018‘ as well as your name and surname in the subject line.
- A CV of maximum two pages;
- A cover letter of no more than one page outlining your motivation for the job and when you would be able to start;
- Two short writing samples in English.
The deadline for applications is 2 December 2018.
First interviews will be held on 13 and 14 December 2018.
More information on E3G’s work can be found at www.e3g.org
Do not forget to mention politjobs.de during your application!