Varian International seeks Manager, Government Affairs, Central Europe & CIS
This position reports to the Senior Director, Government Affairs EMEIA. It will manage and lead the company’s EMEIA government relations and public policy function in specific countries of the region. This role will be responsible for leading the company’s government relations, public policy and advocacy strategies, as well as implementing the company’s EMEIA market development strategies in the countries covered by this role. This position will be involved in the company’s commercial business development, educational program development and regulatory strategies across Varian’s EMEIA region. The position will manage the regional Central Europe and CIS government affairs issues.
- Advice and counsel the company’s executives on public policy and governmental matters, including legislation/regulations and policy initiatives and their potential implications to the company.
- Develop, in partnership with company executives and business unit stakeholders, the company’s government relations and public policy strategy and agenda in the countries (s)he is responsible, and help prioritize actions and resources.
- Oversee relationships with trade organizations and strategic industry groups to influence legislation, regulations and public policy that affect the industry and advance the company’s interests.
- Develop relationships with key government officials and their staff and administrative agency persons and other international organizations as they relate to EMEIA on issues of importance to the company such as expanding access to radiotherapy, as well as reimbursement of radiotherapy equipment and treatments.
- Assist in government business transactions with Ministries of Health, Finance and other relevant government agencies. Develop thought leadership and influence commercial strategies.
- Work with leaders of government and industry to influence public policy, monitor government initiatives and advocate for specific plans to advance the company’s objectives.
- Develop, in partnership with universities, government agencies, and radiotherapy thought leaders in the region, education programs and symposia to improve adoption of best clinical practices.
- Manage and balance external and internal resources.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of and experience in appropriately influencing policy processes, including working with and managing consultants.
- Experience in developing partnerships with trade associations, medical organisations, NGOs and other industry partners in order to formulate a common agenda.
- Formulating and implementing business development, government relations and external affairs policies in Germany, Switzerland, EU-level or the CIS countries.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse key regulatory and policy issues considering the company’s strategic goals and to focus on those issues that advance (or could potentially inhibit) the company’s competitive business interests.
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with internal business stakeholders.
- Record of achievement and accomplishment.
- Experience working in the medical capital equipment, medical device or healthcare industry is highly desirable.
- Fluency in German and English is required. Additional language competencies are welcome, Russian in particular.