Microsoft sucht Director of Corporate Affairs (m/f)
Director, Corporate Affairs for Germany
will be responsible for managing the development and implementation of Microsoft ‘s public policy initiatives throughout Germany at national and local levels as they relate to our strategic partnerships with government, industry associations, international organizations, customers and partners.
The role is to lead the Corporate Affairs team, manage and execute on Microsoft’s policy priorities by developing and maintaining relationships with government officials and regulators. One important aspect of the role is to actively support Microsoft`s business teams in landing Microsoft`s cloud strategy with customers from the government sector.
Additionally, she/he will lead, develop and promote Microsoft Germany`s Philanthropy and Business Corporate Responsibility efforts.
The ideal candidate must have exceptional leadership and collaboration skills, strong oral and written communications skills in at least German and English, executive presence, and a strong background in public policy, public affairs and domestic & international politics in Germany and in Europe.
This role is a critical leadership position for Microsoft Germany and is an excellent, unique opportunity to build on a strong presence with government leaders, policy makers & influencers and other key stakeholders in Germany and Europe.
The position will be based in Berlin, managing a team of 4-5 Corporate Affairs managers and it will report to the Director of Corporate, External and Legal Affairs, Microsoft Germany.
The mission of the Corporate Affairs team is to deliver a regulatory and reputational environment in which the business can flourish. The team has responsibility for building and maintaining effective connections with policy makers and influencers, ensuring a larger number of policy influencer audience members recognize our contribution to Germany which meets the goals of both the business and society while improving the company’s reputation, and finally for driving the business’ wider policy goals.
- Extend and develop Microsoft’s government affairs strategy and organization in Germany.
- Manage the Microsoft Germany Corporate Affairs Team.
- Help identify, develop and implement Microsoft’s public policy agenda.
- Actively support Microsoft`s business teams in landing Microsoft`s cloud strategy with customers from the government sector
- Manage the Microsoft`s Berlin Center and continuously develop concepts to leverage the Center as a means to showcase Microsoft`s products and objectives to Government audiences and other thought leaders. Develop and manage the PR and social media strategy for the Berlin Center.
- Develop and drive a strong presence of the Corporate Affairs team in relevant social media.
- Manage day to day operational functions to include periodic reporting on goals and objectives, budget, events and content development for internal and external websites.
- Work with Microsoft’s Leadership Team and the wider CELA community to develop thought leadership strategies on a broad range of tech policy issues including to privacy, internet safety & security, public sector procurement policies, etc.
- Engage with industry and trade associations and think tanks in Germany and, as required, on supra-national levels.
- Provide strong executive support for Microsoft’s Germany`s Leadership Team and other individuals in leadership positions for interfacing with senior government officials working cross-functionally with subject matter experts as required.
- Provide oversight and support for all governmental meetings, delegations, and events in Germany and delegations travelling to Corporate HQ.
- Own and drive Microsoft Germany’s Philanthropy plan.
- Manage and lead the Philanthropies team.
- Develop effective relationships with key NGOs and other partners which support the Philanthropy plan. Optimize relationships for mutual benefit, ensuring satisfaction and evidence of the value of Microsoft’s contribution.
- Seek out and drive noteworthy projects and programs with NGO and other partners which support the Philanthropy plan. Manage delivery with integrity and to the highest quality, and team effectively to optimize resources and success.
- Seek out and drive opportunities to promote Microsoft’s Philanthropy and Corporate Responsibility efforts to a wide range of stakeholders (Elites, Influencers, Employees), with a specific focus on: developing practical partnerships with Government and NGOs; hosting or attending relevant events; media coverage; awards; speaker opportunities.
- Partner closely with Microsoft’s communications teams (Corporate PR, internal communications).
- Ensure maximum return on investments with NGO and Philanthropy partners.
- Secure and manage funding and other resources for above, working with local and international colleagues as appropriate.
- Ensure efforts are integrated with and contribute to the work of the wider Philanthropy team, in the Germany, the region and at Corp HQ.
- Create and drive opportunities for employee or business engagement within projects and programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Essential Qualification and Experience
- Academic background should include a minimum of a University degree (Magister/Diplom/Staatsexamen/Bachelor) or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- The ideal candidate will have extensive public policy and political experience in Germany and, preferably, another EU member state or at EU level with the European Commission and the European Parliament [preferably from a combination of public and private sector experiences].
- Demonstrable experience as a policy/ government affairs professional at a medium to large company (technology, communications, telecoms or internet company) and or as a Policy Leader at a trade association, think tank, or consulting firm (minimum 8+ years).
- In addition, the candidate should ideally have experience in working on technology, telecoms or internet-related policy, plus an equal amount of people management experience.
- Executive Presence: Outstanding leadership skills and proven abilities to influence policy making amongst both government and private sector audiences. Solid experience in handling complex, controversial issues within Germany and/or key European countries and/or with multi-national organizations such as OECD, EU, WTO, UN. The ability to deal effectively with senior executive business and government leaders with the presence and credibility to secure support and enthusiasm, both internally and externally, for a course of action. Excellent relationship building and networking skills. The ability to influence and work cross functionally, gaining respect from direct reports as well as peers across Microsoft.
- Presentation and Communications: Demonstrable experience in public speaking and presentation skills will be required alongside experience in discussing national and supra-national public policy issues relating to technology and telecommunications with a variety of audiences including government, business and industry associations. Highly developed written and verbal communication and influencing skills will be essential.
- Strategic Management and Leadership: Outstanding strategic and demonstrable intellectual capabilities. The ability to manage and lead cross-functional and virtual teams to facilitate global policy initiatives. Must possess skills in working with and promoting objectives of Microsoft’s business leaders working with government at all levels.
- Public Policy Content and Strategy: Experienced in identifying and crafting strategies on a variety of Internet, telecoms and information technology issues. Reputation as an established expert within industry circles on public policy issues in tech and a proven passion for the government affairs area.
Personal Attributes/Interpersonal Skills
- Candidates’ personal qualities should include the ability to be diplomatic, discrete, and tactful both internally and externally.
- They will demonstrate a keen sense of teamwork and ability to build trust and respect with other team members both in the German Corporate, External and Legal Affairs teams and more widely across Microsoft.
- Ethics, integrity, trust and transparency are essential for this leadership role not only in attaining results, but how they are attained.
- Some International travel will be required.
- The candidate must be fluent in German and English.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. Join an international work environment that is characterized by flexibility, an informal atmosphere, and a fast pace. We offer competitive pay and a wide range of benefits. Microsoft acknowledges your performance by investing in your health and financial future and by ensuring your work-life-balance.
Segment: CELA – Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs
Applications until: November 22nd 2016
Please apply with an English written CV. For more information and to apply please click here.