GIZ sucht Advisor (m/f) Economic and Social Integration of Young People and Returning Refugees – Iraq/Baghdad
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
For our work in Iraq/Baghdad, we are looking for a
Advisor (m/f) Economic and Social Integration
of Young People and Returning Refugees
FIELD OF ACTIVITY
The GIZ Project “Private Sector Development” aims to improve the economic and social perspectives of young people and returning refugees in Iraq. A volatile security situation, stalling oil prices, and a contracting public sector contribute to a high youth unemployment rate of around 20%. Women and returning refugees are especially affected.
By utilizing three approaches which are (1) labour market measures, (2) support to small & medium sized companies (SMEs), and (3) psycho-social counselling, the project supports its beneficiaries on the individual, structural, and business level with the objective to increase their perspectives to prevent migration or alternative income activities such as provided by extremist militia groups.
The support via labour market measures combines vocational training, on-the-job training, and continuing education with job placement services, internship exchange, and further business-labour market connection initiatives. Sectors such as the crafts, construction, agriculture, food production, and health services offer significant potential for the project’s interventions which are implemented in cooperation with selected education providers in Basra, Erbil, and Baghdad. The approach also includes support to entrepreneurs and start-ups.
SMEs active in labour intensive branches of the economy will be supported via business consulting which includes business planning, marketing and market access, product refinement, and access-to-finance measures with the objective to increase employment opportunities.
Psycho-Social Counselling assists young people to (re)gain access to society and its social networks. The project supports measures and organisations providing counselling to traumatized young people and children as well as integrative networks of NGOs, students, journalists, and artists able to enrich the beneficiaries social connections.
This position focuses on the area of expertise.
- Your position is responsible for the implementation of the project’s approaches (1) labour market measures and (3) psycho-social counselling. This includes technical planning in coordination with the project’s director, coordinated implementation of activities with the project’s other field of actions, monitoring and evaluation of results (quality management), and contributing to reporting and public relation activities.
- You technically advise political partners such as the Ministries for Education, Labour and Social Affairs, Agriculture on labour market measures and job promotion activities.
- You identify and coordinate implementation partners and monitor joint activities according to the project’s objectives and GIZ’s quality expectations. This responsibility includes cooperation with the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
- In alignment with the project’s overall objectives and the commissioner’s country strategy you support the further development and specification of the project.
- Completed university degree in a relevant field (such as political science, education, economics, social science etc.) ideally with a focus on the labour market;
- 5+ years proven work experience in the field of labour market exchange, job creation, occupational training, or other relevant fields;
- Experiences in project management and policy consulting are desired;
- Working experiences in supporting (returning) refugees and women are an asset;
- Experiences working in development projects ideally in the region. Experiences working in volatile security environments are a strong advantage;
- Strong management and organisation skills with attention to details and deadlines regarding effective implementation, planning, monitoring and evaluation of the project as well as reporting of project activities in a context and conflict sensitive manner;
- Fast-learner with willingness to assume additional responsibilities and develop new activities;
- Works well independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting, diplomatic skills are a prerequisite;
- Fluency in English is essential, German and Arabic is a strong asset.
More information can be found here: