German Development Institute seeking Researcher (m/f)
Following final approval of financing requirements, department III “Governance, Statehood and Security” of the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) is seeking a
(up to 75%) in Bonn.
Salary according to German public service tariff (TVÖD) from € 32.900,00 up to € 41.900,00 depending on qualifications.
The position shall be filled as soon as possible. The position is limited to a term ending on 31 December 2018.
Field of Activity
The German Development Institute is one of the leading research institutes on development policy. Through excellent research, policy advice and training, the Institute contributes to finding solutions to global challenges.
The researcher will work in a project on “Impact Measurement of Governance Interventions in Africa”. The project is a joint initiative of DIE and GIZ. It will be implemented in cooperation with the GIZ programmes in Benin and Mozambique and local research institutions. Main tasks are the design and implementation of one evaluation study in each of these countries and a syntheses report on the main findings and lessons learnt of the project. The position includes giving policy advice to the programmes. We are looking for a person with strong methodological and communication skills who can independently conduct excellent empirical research.
The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) offers an inspiring, family-friendly working environment at the interface of research, policy advice and training, with ample opportunities to engage in international discussions, political processes and scientific debates.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Excellent academic record based on a master’s degree or equivalent and a PhD (preferably), ideally in political science, economics, or other related social sciences;
- Very good command of impact evaluation methods and techniques with an emphasis on quantitative approaches; knowledge in survey design and implementation is an asset;
- Substantial knowledge in at least one of the following areas: Satisfaction with public service delivery; Public administration (including public finance); Decentralization and local governments;
- Professional experience in developing countries;
- Fluent spoken and written English, proficiency in Portuguese or French;
- Willingness and aptness to frequently travel to Berlin and abroad, including countries with a tropical climate (“Tropentauglichkeit”).
In the case of equal qualification, physically challenged persons will be given preference.
For further questions, please contact Dr. Julia Leininger or Armin Schiller.
When applying, please note the position number 2016-III-01. Applications, also possible by E-Mail, including all necessary documents (motivation letter, CV, relevant certificates), should be submitted by 24 January 2016 at:
Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE)
Tulpenfeld 6, 53113 Bonn/Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)228 94927-0