Embassy of the Republic of Namibia seeks Commercial Assistant – Office Administration (m/f)
The Office of the Commercial Counsellor at the Embassy of the Republic of Namibia is looking for an experienced and highly organised individual to provide professional administrative and office support. We offer an exciting opportunity to learn more about trade and investment promotion and work on a wide range of interesting projects in an international work environment as part of a small but dynamic team. The Office of the Commercial Counsellor is an extension of the Namibia Investment Centre (NIC), Namibia’s official investment promotion agency. We promote Namibia as a business and investment destination and support German companies wishing to invest in Namibia. We also assist Namibian companies to enter the German market and connect them to international business partners.
Commercial Assistant – Office Administration (m/f)
Start of Employment: 15 February 2016 or shortly thereafter
Place of Employment: Embassy of the Republic of Namibia, Reichsstraße 17, 14052, Berlin
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm
Contract: 3 years with a possibility of an extension
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Taking charge of the Commercial Office’s administrative and financial management procedures;
- Bookkeeping (receiving and recording invoices, arranging payments, handling the payroll, reconciling accounts, preparing budgets and regular reports of accounting activities);
- Maintaining and updating the Commercial Office website and Twitter page;
- Drafting, proofreading, and preparing correspondence for the Commercial Counsellor;
- Creating and maintaining paper and electronic filing systems;
- Creating, editing, and maintaining office address lists and databases containing various organisational information;
- Ordering office supplies and maintaining supplies inventory;
- Assisting the Commercial Counsellor in organising trade missions, investor seminars, individual company visits, and participation in trade fairs;
- Assisting visiting trade missions and companies with various logistical arrangements and providing guest services for invited guests of the Commercial Office;
- Booking hotels and facilitating travel arrangements;
- Monitoring national and international trade and investment news;
- Drafting background information and briefing papers for the Commercial Counsellor;
- Assisting in the compilation of in-house investment promotion material;
- Assisting the Commercial Counsellor to maintain good relations with external partners, including business/industry associations, governments and other public and private institutions.
Required Knowledge & Experience:
- Relevant professional qualifications and/or academic qualifications (e.g. in business or office administration or related fields);
- At least 2 years of prior office/administrative experience;
- Strong knowledge of office organisational principles, filing, inventory control, communications logs, and basic accounting skills;
- Ideally experience in conducting research and synthesising information from research into a coherent format, such as briefings, correspondence, and responses to enquiries;
- Written and spoken fluency in English and German;
- Highly computer literate, with excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office packages such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook;
- Ideally experience with Content Management Systems (CMS), especially WordPress.
Abilities & Personal Attributes:
- Interest in Africa, economic issues and international relations desirable;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural working environment;
- Sensitivity to confidential matters;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Good writing skills in both German and English;
- Ability to work methodically, accurately and neatly with attention to detail;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work independently.
How to apply:
Please send your application letter and CV, addressed to the Commercial Counsellor, Dr. Mekondjo Kaapanda-Girnus, by email to: email@example.com. Kindly indicate your salary expectation and the earliest day you can start.
The closing date for applications is 17 January 2016 but we encourage interested individuals to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis before the closing date.
Please note that the Embassy is not in a position to compensate candidates for any costs (i.e. travel, accommodation etc.) incurred to attend the interview.