Amazon seeks Public Policy Operations Manager, Germany
Since 1994, Amazon has continuously expanded its product selection and innovated on behalf of customers in an on-going effort to fulfil its stated ambition of being earth’s most customer-centric company. Its worldwide network of fulfilment and customer service centres delights customers around the world, both directly through Amazon and on behalf of merchants selling on Amazon’s websites. Today, Amazon’s rapidly expanding consumer product range offers books, video games, consumer electronics, apparel, jewelry, grocery and Amazon Kindle among many others. Amazon’s presence in Europe is growing fast with customers across the continent, offering millions of products and a long term vision to allow every consumer to find anything they want to buy online.
Manager of Public Policy Operations, Germany
The Public Policy Operations Manager, Germany will:
- Collaborate with Amazon’s operations, transportation and real estate teams, legal, tax, HR, finance, public relations, and other business partners regarding operations initiatives, site expansion plans and requirements.
- Support the site selection process including due diligence and engagement with policymakers, local, regional and national government officials and agencies, chambers of commerce, and other economic development partners.
- Represent and advocate the company’s policy positions on issues affecting our customer fulfilment and operations network in Germany.
- Build strong relationships and support at all levels of government – national, regional, and local – for Amazon’s investments and ongoing operations and drive understanding of Amazon’s contribution to the local economy and community.
- Develop and implement a public policy strategy that supports the growth and flexibility of Amazon’s operations in Germany.
- Identify, anticipate, and advise on political and legislative developments, risks and opportunities in Germany impacting Amazon’s operations.
- Define and oversee a dedicated strategy to manage perception of our operations at country level
- Organize dedicated site visits with politicians and policy makers.
- Work closely with the European and global public policy teams on political and legislative developments in Germany and Europe.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations. Measures of success for this role will include number of deals supported, new sites offered by local entities and number of sites where permitting process was cleared.
The role will be based in Berlin or in one of the regions where we have an operation. The candidate will be expected to make frequent trips throughout Germany and, as needed, to Brussels, Luxembourg and Seattle.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing successful partnerships with local governments, and other public and private stakeholder groups.
- Significant experience in managing infrastructure and workforce development issues for large scale projects.
- Leadership experience advancing a public policy agenda and strategy in Germany.
- A strong network of political stakeholders in Germany at a local and national level, with a demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and political levels.
- An extensive understanding of the German political process and climate, with an informed European and global perspective, combined with sound and practical business judgment and common sense.
- An ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company, communicating their impact to senior management, and developing a strategy to address them effectively.
- Ability to identify and understand key technical aspects pertaining to Amazon’s operations and persuasively communicate complex concepts and issues to external stakeholders.
- A demonstrated understanding of German law, especially regarding real estate, labour, transport, logistics and tax, is of advantage.
- A track record of effectively leveraging resources including internal teams, coalitions, associations, and other relevant organizations.
- The ability to manage a large number and variety of mission-critical projects, working independently and often in ambiguous environments.
- Highly effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization and cultures.
- An advanced degree in Politics / Law / Economics with experience negotiating with public administrations is preferred.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
- Fluency in German and English required. Working proficiency in additional working languages of the European Union would be an asset.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon managers:
- Exhibits excellent business judgment
- Has relentlessly high standards
- Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
- Expects and requires innovation of their team
- Thinks big and has convictions
- Is action and results oriented
- Is highly analytical and structured
- Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others